1) Didier Drogba is an Arsenal killer. He has 12 goals in 12 career games vs. Arsenal and he has 4 goals in his last 2 games vs. Arsenal. How can you leave one of the best strikers in the world in acres of space on the counter attack and not expect for him to score a goal? Drogba might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but the man knows how to finish and score goals at a very high level. Drogba was the man of hte match and is playing some of the best football I have ever seen from him.
2) John Terry ends crazy week with a clean sheet. After everything the Chelsea captain has been through what a way to finish off the week by going top of the table and earning a clean sheet vs. Arsenal. The man was everywhere he needed to be in defense today and his early header at the far post gave Drogba an easy tap-in to put Chelsea ahead. He may not be England’s captain anymore, but the man is one of the best footballers in the world.
3) Arsenal and Arsene Wenger need a striker. Since World Class player Robin Van Persie has been injured tiny (5 ft. 8 inch) Andrey Arshavin has been leading the lines for the gunners. Arshavin has done a fine job filling in for Van Persie, but he is much better running at defenders and being out in wide areas of the pitch. He can’t do much with his back to the net and he drifts in and out of the game too much when he is the main striker. Nicklas Bendtner did come on and change the game a little, but clearly the loss of Van Persie is costing Arsenal the title.
4) Arsenal needs to shoot the ball. I have seen Arsenal play some of the best football that I have ever seen in my life. Intricate passing in very tight areas quick one and two touch passing with give and go’s, but sometimes (lately) they like to pass the ball too much and look for that perfect goal. Arsenal needs to shoot more! All of the passing around the 18 yard box looks nice, but when the ball is not hitting the back of the net what does all that possession do? Clearly we have talent and some of the best players in the world, but I rarely see that killer instinct that is needed when I watch Arsenal, especially against the top clubs in England they do not have the killer instinct. Another problem is when they finally should pass it they elect to be selfish or get caught in between doing two things at once and lose the ball. At 2-0 we had a chance to score if Samir Nasri would have passed to Walcott wide open on the right side of the penalty area, but NO. Nasri did not know what to do and ended up losing the ball.
5) The premier League title is a two horse race. Arsenal now stand 9 points behind league leaders Chelsea with 13 games to play. They do not play Chelsea or Man. United again for the rest of the season meaning they can not catch up with them directly, they must instead rely on other teams to take points away from the big two. Arsenal has been hit with many injuries this year and they have come at inopportune times. If Wenger does get his team’s confidence riding high again Arsenal will have a problem trying to finish in the top four for a champions league place. I must also say that the match schedulers do not like Arsenal. Aston Villa away, Man. United home, Chelsea away and Liverpool home all in consecutive games, THANKS! I love the gunners til the day I die, but today is the day that I admit Arsenal will not win the premier league this season.